Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Scientific Experiment #2: Showing Your Stripes

As you know, I am a Republican. If you've been reading my blog you know that SPU is a very liberal college. Also if you've been reading my blog, you know that I was planning on showing my support of McCain and Palin on the whiteboard outside of my dorm room. For those of you who are interested, Here are the results of that experiment, i.e. The things that people wrote on my board.

This is what the original sign looked like:

McCain
Palin
2008

Here are some of the variations I got (italics are things that others wrote):

McCain (Old guy)
Palin (Bimbo)
2008

McCain
Palin
2008
Wanting to F*** the U.S. The next four years
--The interesting thing about this one is I erased all but the F of the bad word. The next morning it had been replaced by "screw"

McCain
Palin
1908

McCain
Palin
2008
Yes! Yes!
--This one made me feel less alone.

McCain
Palin
2008
Eat the Poor!!

McSame
Failin

2008
--This liberal does get points for creativity

I ran this experiment over two weekends, and Happened to go home. When I got back the first time, the board looked like this:

Obama
Biden
2008
Change we can count on


The second weekend I came back and my sign had been completely erased to be replaced by more pro-bama slogans. I rewrote it and when I left my dorm the next day the board looked like this:

McCain
Palin
2008


and here are the last few collected:

McCain
Palin
2008
Because one Depression just wasn't enough

McCain
Palin
2008
Honoring the time cherished value of lying

And the final one which was written just yesterday:

McCain
Palin
2008
Is this for the Hugh Hefner look-alike contest?


Now, one other interesting thing about this, is not just the reactions I got when I wrote it, but what happened after I did. When I wrote this on my board, there was only one other person in my hall who was showing their political stripes. It was an Obama supporter who had signs outside their door and their board said "Obama Biden" etc. Not long after putting up McCain/Palin, I realized that a lot more people had written on their boards which candidates they supported. Yeah, 90% of them are Obama, but I just think it's really interesting. Even the guy who had stuff up before me got more elaborate. He drew one of those O's on his board with the flag thing that is a symbol of all things Obama. I felt kind of bad because people came by and kept erasing parts of it. When I came back from this last weekend, he was out fixing it, and I talked to him a bit. Well, actually mom started it. She said something about "Oh you have the same problem she does, people keep messing up your board" and then he was like yeah, and said something about the Conservatives are all hiding and I said "that's because we get beat down by liberals every time we mention who we're supporting." What was interesting is that we both came to the realization that we were tired of people putting us down for whichever candidate we were supporting, and we can't wait for the election to be over. Okay, so maybe not all of the liberals at SPU are crazy.

Generally, I think this was a very interesting experiment and I learned some interesting things from it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your experiment. The results are interesting. Your posts on the election are probably some of the most rational things I've read of this election.

~Tiffany from CS

Margaret said...

And it all comes down to tonight...