Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Reflections

So I feel rather alone. All of my exchange friends are gone or getting ready to go. I don't even have a departure date yet. I'm hoping to have my visa by the 17th. Hopefully earlier. I'm just waiting on word from the travel company. The waiting is hard, and it's depressing watching everybody else pack up and go. No, that sounds awkward, it sounds like I"m just sitting here twiddling my thumbs, which I'm not. I've started packing, am working on my power point presentation. I went shopping yesterday and bought some last minute things. I'm trying to figure out what I don't need because my suitcases are tiny. It's just the endless waiting that's hard. For the most part I'm enjoying the last few weeks here. I've been eating breakfast with my mom and grandparents a lot. It's funny but whereas last summer, I might prefer to stay home and sleep rather than go to breakfast, this summer, I find it hard to just roll over and go back to sleep. Because I knew in a few weeks I'll be eating breakfast thousands of miles away and a year is both long and short.

That sounds like an oxymoron, I know but it's the truth. A year can be both long and short.In the grand scheme of things a year really isn't that much time. Compared to like five years or ten years or whatever. Yet at the same time a year is a long time. A lot can happen in a year. Things can change dramatically in a year. That kind of scares me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man, I know how you're feeling! The fact that I'll be gone a year is really scary to me sometimes. I kind of wonder what I'll be like when I'm back next year.

Oh, and don't feel too bad. I don't have a departure date yet either and my travel agent sent me a very depressing e-mail about how hard it will be for her to find a ticket to my remote city that won't cost an arm and a leg.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I forgot to clarify. This is Maria, the exchanger going to Kamchatka next year. I'm not some creepy stalker.