Friday, October 26, 2007

An Opera of a different kind, A "lesson", and John Steinbeck

I hate opera.
The browser, not actual musical opera.
see we got this new computer.
My host cousin Nika came over and set it up, and my other host cousin, Lavik, came over and set up the internet, which is cool.

Except internet explorer on the new computer doesn't have Java installed so I can't see my google page, and that google page is my connection to everyting. Well, not really, but you know what I mean.

So I switched to the other browswer on the new computer, Opera. I hate it. It's like it's trying to be cool like firefox, but is only succeding in looking like a nerd.
I think it doesn't keep connected to the internet all the time or something because google talk comes on and then when I flip back over to it to check it, it says that I'm offline. I just felt like complaining about it.

My life has finally started to settle into a routine, or something resembling a routine, which is cool. I'm getting more used to this place as well. I no longer wake up every morning and think "Oh my word, how am I ever going to make it ten months here?" I take it one day at a time, focus on things that are worth looking forward to, such as fall break here in another week. There was never really any real question of me coming home. I knew going into it that I would make it all ten and a half months, but I did have my moments. Usually my first thought upon waking up is "I really don't want to go to school." But I go. Although I haven't been doing all my time this week. I haven't intentionally skipped though. There was the end of last week, where I didn't go two days because of Maynard Gross, the district 5010 governer, and then this week, I've gotten to leave school early/miss some class about everyday. Today I woke up really late, 7:32. Once I realized I was going to be late I didn't really rush. When I got to school, I decided I didn't want to risk angering the godess of physics, so I sat that class out.

In math, one of my classmates, Kesha, sat beside me and basically told me today was the day to start Homus lessons. I was like "uh...okay!" So we did some arranging and I skipped english class *with permission* caught the bus home, changed, snarfed a butterbrot, grabbed my homus and fifteen minutes later was back on the bus to the school where I said I'd meet Kesha at 1:30. We went together to the Homus museum for the lesson. Whoever Kesha had talk to had told him to be there at two, and we were right on time. The teacher wasn't. So we got to look around at the museum while we waited. I found it really interesting.

The teacher showed up around 2:30 basically to inform us that we weren't actually going to do any learning/playing today. Instead she told Kesha and I to come back tomorrow at 3:00. Kesha seemed really disappointed but I was like "okay" because spending time at the homus museum waiting around a half an hour killed an afternoon that I would've otherwise spent reading John Steinbeck. So after school tomorrow we're going back for our first lesson.

After The "lesson" I didn't go home because I was supposed to meet Kunai. I can't remember if I wrote about it on here, but she asked me to speak to some of her economic students yesterday (though she's an english teacher), so I did and they invited me to their I forget the word. I think maybe convocation? It's where they all officially become first year students, and students of the university.

So I grabbed a cheeseburger at Max Food, Which isn't like the good old Micky D's burger I've been hungry for (read odd sauce, carrots, and who knows what else on it that I didn't care to analyze) drank some cherry juice and then caught another bus to the university just in time to meet Kunai.

I really do prefer walking, but one thing I have to say about the bus. It sure is convenient. Plus it gets me where I want to go in about half the time as walking. So when I have time I walk, and when I'm short on time, I take the bus.

The convocation was basically a bunch of skits and singing and stuff, it reminded me of our day of teachers celebration at the 8th school. It seems like the Russians have a lot of these types of celebrations.

I got home at about 6:30. Raisa had (and still has) friends over. So I ate rather quickly, had a cup of Chai (only one today, that's unusual for me) and vacated the kitchen rather quickly. I was reading on the couch when Raisa told me I should see what Lavik was doing, so I came into the bedroom, pretended to watch Lavik, and kept reading until he finished setting up the internet, and now I'm testing it. Or rather, I was testing it. Until I realized I'd been testing it for a while, and so I disconnected to write this blog.

I've gotten some comments about how some people enjoy reading about the "emotional" part of my journey. Sometimes I'll be walking, or sitting in school, and get these really profound thoughts, and I'll write them down and forget to put them in my blog. The result is that I'm going to have to take every stinking one of my school notebooks home just so I have all the complete thoughts.

I've been reading John Steinbeck's East of Eden. Actually, it was kind of an accident. I started it a day or two ago, just because I wanted to read something in English because I missed reading. Those of you who know me, know that once I got into it, I couldn't stop. You all should read it because it's an amazing book, and I've decided that Steinbeck is a brilliant writer. Some of his similies and descritions make me jealous.

Unfortunately it being in English is a bad thing. The good news is that since I read a lot yesterday evening and all day at school today, I'll be finishing the book soon. Or maybe it's bad news because that means I have one book left in english. I was looking at one of the many bookstores today and found a copy of The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe Translated to Russian. I think I'll buy it because reading it in Russian won't be too terribly difficult because I already know the story and have read the english version. But it'll be in Russian so that'll be good practice. An additional bonus is that the book is small so it won't be too heavy to carry to school.

No comments: