Monday, October 22, 2007

So I lied

Alright, I wasn't telling the truth when I said that exchange is the hardest thing I've ever done. But at the time I said it, I didn't know there was something harder. I now think that the hardest thing I've done is take an art class on exchange. I know that sentence probably made all of you burst out laughing, but I'm beginning to think it's the truth. Between the woman yelling at me (literally) and the teacher practically painting my picture for me, plus everyone thinking I'm an idiot who can't speak Russian, it's an emotional journey. Plus I'm not good at art like everyone else in my class because unlike writing, I haven't been drawing and painting since I was a babe in arms. This is right up there with coming down the Lena Pillars, thinking I was going to meet Jesus face to face with every step. oi, mametchka!

So I'm thinking I need to reclassify because it seems like every month I go through something harder than the last month, or as hard as. Living here day to day is a challenge, but then I get these extra big mountins that come along. oi. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger right?

Okay so here's how it works. The general heading is "Exchange is the hardest thing I've ever done" period. Because as a whole, it is. Then under that we have the sub headings. "Climbing up and down the Lena pillars" "Going to art class" and "Asking the kiosk ladies for a candy bar" though the latter gets easier everytime I do it. Just like art class gets a little easier everytime I go, just like climbing...well, I've only done that once, (I'm not sure I want to do it again) but you get the idea. And not only that, but living in Russia gets easier with everyday that passes.

I was proud of myself because when I came home, I told Raisa about the woman yelling at me. It was broken, bad grammar Russian, but it was Russian. That makes me proud. I've discovered that everytime I'm down I feel better about myself when I use Russian in an everyday situation. A lot of times this involves buying something. I know it sounds like I'm a shopoholic, but It's usually just small stuff. I don't do it for the stuff. I do it because in a lot of stores here you have to ask for what you want. So it's not really the buying stuff that makes me feel good, it's the fact that I can use my Russian.

1 comment:

Joe Clifford Faust said...

In the USA we call what you're doing Retail Therapy. Yours is an interesting variant!